Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"Notorious Kahlo I Love You I Do - As I Stand in the Shadows Weeping For You"



These two quotes of Frida Kahlo's are significant. They are indeed the most significant quotes of hers to understand her life and the dedication to explaining who she was as a human being. The bigger more obvious effort being her art of course. It is within pure honesty that the artist shines and Kahlo's star shines for her tonight.

"I paint self portraits because I am the person I know best."

"I hope the departure is joyful and I hope never to return." ~Frida Kahlo

~~*~~

It is for Frida then that I write:

"Notorious Kahlo I Love You I Do - As I Stand in the Shadows Weeping For You"

Mexican art goddess
Frida Kahlo
Spanish gem
rebellious thunder
independent glamour queen
of a most glorious wonder.

Shocking conservative foes
dressing her canvases
with mirrors
from her very own
battered
and injured soul.

Notorious Kahlo
I love you I do
as I stand in the shadows
weeping for you.

If I do not understand
mine own pain
I will lust after Frida
and her soulful
honestly delivered
claims.

Mexican goddess
tears marked her days
you and I should remember
such courage
displayed.

Wounded in body
demons of the dark
yet despite convalescence
on canvas
this goddess
left her deepest remarks.

Diego Rivera
came into her life
murals of politics
and Mexican strife.
France did know them
an artists pair
who danced in their art scene
reputations to flair.

Ahh feminist Frida
I light candles to you
when alone in my closet
unsure of what to do.
Cult figure I honor
write notes on my door
remember Ms Kahlo
who painted her soul's roar.

Who better to paint
than the one, one knows best
from cradle to grave
Frida revealed her own struggles
and difficult tests.

Vibrant colors
sure of her gestures
leaving no misunderstanding
Frida Kahlo said and painted
exactly
what her heart measured.

Sexuality not ignored
as some women do
Frido Kahlo said it all
as she thought her life through.

She gave herself freedom
creative displays
dramatic symbolism
gave us visions
within and without
her cast prison.

Within your bodies torturous doorman
your efforts to explore
courageous decisions
will forever ignite me
past the tunes
of simple
folklore.

Notorious Kahlo
I love you I do
as I stand in the shadows
weeping for you.

Kathy Ostman-Magnusen
copyright 2009

1 comment:

Calli said...

Kathy~ This is simply put, a stunning tribute!

I feel exactly the same about her. her work, her life, her pain - all of it!

just beautiful~
~Calli

Incidentally, the self-portrait I am working on is in her style. She is one of my greatest mentors!