Sunday, December 10, 2006

Marilyn Kirsch



Marilyn Kirsch
"First Study" 13.5 in. x 24 in.
Oil on Clayboard 2003
"The Theater of War" Series

http://www.marilynkirsch.com/

Check out the work of my friend

M A R I L Y N K I R S C H
Abstract Painting and Work on Paper


Artist's Statement:

My work is somewhere between abstract and completely non-objective. At times there seem to be recognizable images in my paintings, but these images lack definite boundaries and oscillate between possibilities. I am interested in the tension that occurs when perception is not absolutely clear.

I utilize both a control of the medium and an allowance for the accidental. Shifts of the image occur while I work and become part of the finished piece. The completed painting is my response to the unsettling relationship between random acts and carefully planned decisions. In every work I am concerned with the physical properties of the material and the metaphorical content of the image. These characteristics gave me the vocabulary needed for my current series The Worn City.

A city to me is a work of art. Our presence in it adds marks and layers to this never finished work. The city is transformed by the many people who congregate there: a patina covers the city from this collective marking that accumulates slowly over time. As the city changes, so do we. We carry it with us. It becomes part of us. The city is worn by us like a coat and it becomes worn by our wearing.


Marilyn Kirsch
September 2006


----------------------------

Kathy Notes:

Marilyn Kirsch is a New York based Abstract Artist . Her work is just so very smart and sophisticated. Be sure to check out her site, classy, classy, classy!

Check out Marilyn's website to view all Three Studies for "The Theater of War" Series

Also "The Worn City Series" is exceptional.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: